Of course the best thing you can do is to avoid infecting or irritating the throat in the first place. But with our hectic lifestyles who can lock themselves away every time they hear a sore throat is doing the rounds?
To give yourself the best fighting chance of avoiding a sore throat, try these top tips:
- Avoid close contact with others who are suffering with a sore throat.
- Avoid irritants that can cause swelling. Think cigarette smoke, pollution, shouting or even changes in air condition (air con is not that 'cool' when it comes to throats...).
- Breathe through your nose. Your nose is an excellent filter of bacteria and other harmful irritants and helps warm the air too.
- Eat right - vital vitamins found in fruit and vegetables will help support your immune system.
- Swallow - regularly. Our natural saliva helps 'wash out' the throat.
- Drink plenty – a regular swig of water will help alleviate a dry throat.